Mostly I don’t watch videos about photographic techniques (not because I know everything, but I kind of like to do my own thing and not copy others) but this was a really great video by Kebs Cayabyab that shows 5 ways to separate your subject from the background without using shallow depth of field. You should watch this 7 minute video!
TL/DR,DW here they are:
- Light/Shadow – Use selective lighting to show your subject to the viewer
- Colors – Find contrasting colors to make your subject stand out of the background
- Subframing – Use geometric elements to frame your subject inside the image frame
- Layering – You should watch this part, but basically using reflections and double images one can create layers of imagery which can isolate the subject
- Motion Blur – works when you have either moving subject, or moving background